Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Lied...

I didn't post pictures. I've instead chosen to use my rainy and cold final days in Istanbul to look forward to my trip to India. It's been interesting to think about the final leg of my journey--an ambitious attempt to explore SE Asia and meet up with friends of friends and friends. My excitement and anticipation for the month or so that lies ahead has pretty much overshadowed my time in Turkey, a country that I don't think I've given enough credit for it's beauty or the hospitality of its people. Still though, I flipped a coin a couple of months ago (seriously) and it decided that East was where I'd go. Since that moment, I've been thrilled for the sights, sounds, smells, and overall chaos of what lied ahead. After all, I get to explore Rajasthan by train, fly to Kolkata for chai and street food, cross the border into Bangladesh before heading up to the tea plantations of Darjeeling, then back to Kolkata for a flight to Bangkok that serves as a prelude to my short journey to Hong Kong--where I will eat like a king--and finally arrive back in Thailand for two weeks of Phad Thai and more welcomed chaos. If I'm able, I may sneak towards Cambodia to visit the temples of Angkor Wat. Though, that may be too ambitious (if there is such a thing). I've learned so far that you'll never be able to do a place justice by how long you stay there, who you meet, or what you see. Instead, you have to trust yourself--your gut--and go when you're called to go by whatever God, winds, waters, or chance that moves you in that direction.

I've been thinking a lot about what I've learned from travel so far--mostly because I've been asked quite a bit in the last few days. I'm not entirely sure--mostly because there is just so much to think about. Certainly, I've learned the above--to trust myself more. I want to say that most of the answers will show up when I'm back at home, perhaps working or going back to school. You know, that the difference and resulting changes are going to be evident in my future and the way I conduct myself throughout my upcoming years. But it's kind of a cop out, so that I don't really have to answer the question. When I do figure it out, I'll do my best to let you know, one way or another.

Anyway, I'm just wondering out loud... Wish me luck in India (mostly for having a strong stomach).

No comments: